Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Anchor 2008 Christmas Ale



I decided to pour myself a finer beer while I had company over watching the Cowboys get decimated by the Eagles. This review’s a little late but I’ve been pretty busy lately. It's a Christmas seasonal so it doesn't matter too much since you probably won't find this in stores anymore. By the time I got around to pouring myself this brew, the Cowboys game was well out of hand and I took decided to drink this to console myself and ease the pain. Besides, I had good company over so the day wasn't a total loss.

I poured the brew into a pint glass and it has a nice dark chocolate color with hints of red on the edges. Really great head on the glass and if you’ve been reading my reviews, you know that’s always a plus for me. It smells like figs, nutmeg and cinnamon; very much in line with the Christmas theme. It tastes of figs too with a sweet, nutty chocolate finish. Very nice lacing left behind on the glass. There’s a sweet malt taste to it as well and not much hops are present. The chocolate taste emerges slightly more as it warms but the flavor doesn't change much throughout. This is a solid seasonal brew. A friend of mine told me he had the 2007 version and wasn’t too pleased with it but this batch seemed to have a very nice flavor. Probably too late to pick one of these up now but I will definitely keep an eye out for next year’s batch. Anchor is a great brewery and I have yet to be disappointed with any of their beers.

No comments: